Skip to content

The Devil’s Details

04/02/2010

I don’t trust simple plans.

This is a matter of sheer overwhelming experience with them.  If I make a plan and it is simple, it is never simple because it should be.  It is simple because I’ve forgotten something important and, inevitably, complicated.  And so I approached this idea, this very simple and seemingly straightforward idea, with significant trepedation.

A  Simple Pattern

I had a template, my basic template for stretchy knit shirts that fit mentioned in this post.  I had a bunch of scraps in complimentary knits (one interlock, one waffle).  It would be simple, I thought, to trace my template, then cut it into shapes, and assemble a shirt from those shapes.  I would start with something even more simple: stripes.

Thus, I began.

In Pieces

Every piece was numbered, to make my life easier.  The simple plan was to sew each stripe together according to their numbers, then finish the raw edges, and voila!  And for the most part, it actually worked pretty well.  Except for these small issues:

a) I learned the hard way that, when using a machine to sew waffle knit to a slightly heftier interlock knit, you want the heftier fabric on the bottom.  Easy to fix, but not so simple.

b) I repeatedly sewed the pieces together incorrectly, so that the seams were on the wrong side of the piece.  This is not so much a flaw with the plan as a flaw with me.

c) I thought I included enough seam allowence, but I didn’t, and thus had to cut a couple more stripes to get to the right length.  Again, a reasonably easy fit.

d) I decided to try finishing all but the bottom edges with something akin to knit bias tape (only not cut on the bias- just a knit strip with the edges folded to the inside, which I’m sure has an official sewing name), and it mostly worked.. except where it didn’t.  Which I don’t want to show you, because it is horrific.   I will rip it out and fix it, of course; I just have to find my seam ripper.

d) But the biggest issue with my simple plan? It turns out, I’m not a big fan of simple.  I like detail.  So this?

Is not finished.

I think it needs a hood, and maybe some interesting external pockets.  Alas, my scraps of red have run relatively dry, and I can’t continue working until I can afford more.  Which means it’s time to go back into the stash, and dig out something new to work on…

…and maybe leave the planning to someone else.

Advertisements
5 Comments leave one →
  1. 04/03/2010 8:54 AM

    It sure is interesting. Do you know about the Wardrobe Refashioning? Here’s the link to one of them. http://nikkishell.typepad.com/wardroberefashion/

    • 04/10/2010 5:40 PM

      I have, in fact, taken part in the Wardrobe Refashion blog multiple times! I don’t know if I’ll manage to join up this next round- the format is changing, and one of those changes is a subscription fee, and while I can’t blame anyone for trying to get paid for all the work hours they pour into something like that I am rather broke. Alas!

  2. 04/04/2010 8:55 PM

    I love that shirt! Wow.

Trackbacks

  1. Something to Wear Out « Corvus tristis: Art, Craft and an Odd Bird

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: