Skip to content

Summer Flowers


I’ve used this fabric before. I’ve also used the pattern before, repeatedly, but a different view.  This is View D of Simplicity 4076.  It’s a fitted t-shirt with a scoop neck and gathers at the front of the neckline.

The largest modification I made was to lengthen the sleeves:

It’s fantastically light and comfortable, and the pattern came together in an easy, straightforward evening.  My only issue is not so much the fault of the patternmakers: I had to take the waist in considerably.  See, I have this problem where commercial patterns are made for A and B cups, and I have D cups.  There are pattens intended for plus-sizes out there with the whole D-cup thing going on… but those don’t fit my rather narrow (and high) waist.  When it comes to commercial patterns, my bust is usually one size while my waist is four or so sizes smaller.

So I’m getting pretty good at tailoring.

It’s not too much of an issue with knits; knits are often very forgiving.   My next sewing project, however, is a dress which I want to be very, very well-fitting.  Ah, a challenge!

3 Comments leave one →
  1. 07/22/2010 3:02 PM

    I find that I often make things way too big when using patterns. Generally, I sew to fit my largest measurement then tailor in everything else, but it’s a lot of work. I’d love to just cut one out and have it work every once in a while!

    • 07/22/2010 6:33 PM

      I’m getting better at changing the pattern before I cut things out. It saves a bit of worry.


  1. Increasing My Shirt Stash « Corvus tristis: Art, Craft and an Odd Bird

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: