This began as McCalls M4868, and for every hour I spent sewing seams in on this dress, I spent three tearing them out. I have never sewn something so obnoxious.
And I’m still not happy with it. But, you know what? It’s certainly wearable, and I need to work on something else for a while, lest I go totally mad.
Shall we start with the problems?
A: I actually cut it out wrong. See, the pattern has multiple versions. In one, the bodice is one solid fabric. In the other, which I used, there’s that contrast band at the waist. I cut out the bodice for pattern version A and the band for the other, not noticing that the bodice pattern piece has a section you’re supposed to remove if you’re using the waistband, to make sure the waistband is actually on the waistline. This means I moved the waist down about two inches, and while I love the low-waisted look, you do have to add a few inches to the girth if you want the fit to remain usable. So yeah, the fit is off. This mistake also made the dress a touch too long.
B: The other reason that it bunches is that I still haven’t quite figured out how to tailor commercial patterns, made for B cup cleavage, to my Ds. My darts are not the neatest things ever.
C: I’m not happy with my zipper skills yet, either.
Solutions? Adjust the length of the bodice. Maybe adjust the length of the skirt. Tear out part of the upper bodice and sew it so the added darts lay neater. And, oh yeah, redo the zipper (which I’d have to rip out anyway for the other changes).
But not right now. After all, it’s not like it’s ALL bad.
This has the bones of a really cute dress. I love the shape of the skirt, even if it hangs a bit low. All the long seams are French seams, which I’m proud of. Even though the fit isn’t perfect, it’s still pretty well fitted. The fabric is adorable. And hey, if I lost a few pounds it’d fit perfectly, even though high-waisted me moved the waistline down.
I love you with your flaws, my dear. We will meet again… soon.